Sunday, May 5, 2013

Spring is in the Air...Finally

May 5, 2013

Dear Readers,

     This is one of my favorite times of year!  I really enjoy the days being longer and the endless amount of sunshine.  This continues to motivate me to read as much as I can each day.  Recently, I finished reading one of the best adult fiction books in a long time called "A Thousand Splendid Suns" review will be attached at the bottom of this post.  I also let my son's, Xavier and Xander pick out books at their school's book fair. It was interesting for me to notice that interest will always drive which book children select to read or be read to.  One thing that I like to remind others about when they are helping their children select books that they want them to read for independence is that it needs to be in the child's reading level. Book selection for children is very important because it can help them turn into children that enjoy reading or not.


A Thousand Splendid SunsA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is by far one of the best books I have read in awhile.  I absolutely loved how they portrayed Mariam and Laila.  It was interesting to see how these two women's stories were weaved together in such fashion.





Fake MustacheFake Mustache by Tom Angleberger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you have students that have enjoyed other Tom Angleberger's books, this is a must read.  The humor and imagination of the main characters Lenny and Casper made me want to read more.  If you are looking for more information about this author here is a link to his website:  www.origamiyoda.com.  I can't wait for his next book.  I would use this book to hook my boy struggling readers in grades 5 and above.  Reading level is fifth grade.



MudballMudball by Matt Tavares
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since Matt Tavares is a Maine author, I enjoy reading all his books so when I saw this I knew it was a must read on my list. I have always loved the illustrations and how they complement the stories.  In this one Little Andy Olyer is a reluctant baseball player.  As the story continues, Andy begins to realize that anything is possible.  I would recommend this book for children and adults who are baseball fans and route for the underdog.


I hope everyone enjoys a good book this week.  I have many on my list.  If you'd like to talk more about books, I also post all my reading on goodreads.com.


Warm Regards,
Diana Pettis







No comments:

Post a Comment