Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day 2013

Today it is important to remember our veterans and those who fight for our freedoms.  I enjoyed being able to spend the weekend with family because it makes me realize what is important.  Another area I got to  enjoy was reading many books that I would like to share as well as preparing for the 2nd annual Title I Carl J. Lamb Literacy Night at McDonald's in Sanford.  For local friends, I would love for you to stop by and see how we are getting students ready for summer reading.  The event lasts from 4pm to 6pm and the mayor of Sanford is even going to stop by and read.  Here are some of my new favorites that I would like to share.  As always you can find me on goodreads.com.  As another note, I wanted to let my local friends know that the Sanford Writing Camp is not happening this summer due to lack of interest.  I am fortunate to have the opportunity to work at the writing camp in Kennebunk for a week in July after the holiday.

Now onto my favorite books...

Goldilocks and the Three DinosaursGoldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am a big fan of most of the Mo Willems books.  This one is good for younger children that are familiar with the original story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  Mo Willems always adds humor to keep the reader engaged in the text.  I am going to read this story next week at my title I event at the McDonalds in Sanford.

The Road Out: A Teacher's Odyssey in Poor AmericaThe Road Out: A Teacher's Odyssey in Poor America by Deborah Hicks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I went to the bookstore yesterday and got this book.  When I got home I read the entire book in one night.  At times I wonder the difference that one teacher can make in the lives of students.  This book answers those questions and even more.  I feel as though it is a must read for teachers especially ones that work with children in extreme cases of poverty.


Let's Go for a Drive! by Mo Willems
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let's Go for a Drive! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)At the bookstore yesterday, I bought this book for Xander.  Today we read it in parts.  Xander was the elephant and I was the pig.  Great story to help emergent/initial readers with phrasing/fluency/expression.  It also speaks to the themes of kindness and friendship.  I have many of the books in the series because Xander is such a fan of elephants.





I am currently in process of reading this to Xavier and Xander because of their new interest in the military.  I would caution others to make sure that children have background knowledge before beginning to read aloud.

Semper Fido (Dog Tags #1)
Semper Fido by C. Alexander London









I hope everyone has a great week and reads all the books they want.  As always, I welcome feedback from all of you on the books I have just posted reviews on. Please send me book ideas so I can add to my To Be Read pile.
Warm Regards,
Diana Pettis


No comments:

Post a Comment