Thursday, June 20, 2013

Welcome to Summer 2013

I am excited for Summer in Maine! There has already been two wonderful sunny days and I got to spend sometime with my grandmother celebrating her 86th birthday.  I have also enjoyed getting into my summer reading and am working on reading My Life by Bill Clinton which I think is going to take me longer than I thought to finish.   Below are some of my most current reviews.  I plan on blogging at least once a week to share some of the books I am reading with all of you.  Also I am looking for suggestions to add to my reading pile.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Xander is really into elephants so when I saw this story I knew he would love it.  I was right because this story follows Cora and her elephant parents to San Francisco.  While there Cora learns a lot about the true meaning of family.  You'll be surprised to see what happens to Cora and her elephant parents.  For my teacher friends, this would be a great read-aloud.


Froggy Gets DressedFroggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a new series that Xander is into.  It's very predictable story for a 7 year old to follow and talk about about.  I also like that it is short enough to keep him wanting to find out what Froggy will do next.  For my teacher friends, this book presents lots of opportunities to work on short and long vowel sounds in words.  I also noticed as I was reading this with Xander that there are nonsense words such as zup, zwit.  These confused Xander as the reading was happening and presented some great conversations about books.


Mrs. Spitzer's GardenMrs. Spitzer's Garden by Edith Pattou
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Xander's teacher gave each student in the class this book.  I just read it to him tonight and he liked it.  Right away he said to me that each plant in the story is a child in the class.  That is the major point to this teacher's story which is taking care of the students is like taking care of a garden.  Wonderful story!  For teacher friends, this would be a great end of year read-aloud.

My Rotten Redheaded Older BrotherMy Rotten Redheaded Older Brother by Patricia Polacco
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Just listened to this story on storylineonline.net with Xavier and Xander.  This was a cute story about the relationship between a brother and sister.  This book can be found in hard copy as well.  Lots of humor in this story (my opinion) and I enjoyed it because children can relate to the two main characters in the story.


For others looking for older children books my son Xavier who is going into fifth grade in the fall is really into the Guardians series.  He has to do summer homework which entails reading two novels and then writing about them.  He told me today that he wants to just read this series.  For me as a parent it is nice when my child can pick books that are just the right fit for him.  This summer I would encourage all of you to let children read books that have high interest appeal and are in their reading level.  If you have any questions about reading level please send me a private message and I would be happy to help.

Enjoy reading and Summer fun!

Diana Pettis








No comments:

Post a Comment