Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March 20, 2013



Hi Everyone,
It has been a busy couple of weeks for me with school and the parent leadership training that I am taking.  I have been reading some great books in between.

Right now I am reading:


Jefferson's Sons: A Founding Father's Secret ChildrenJefferson's Sons: A Founding Father's Secret Children by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley








I am currently on page 128 because I am reading it aloud to Xavier and Xander.  They love the history of Thomas Jefferson and the discussions we have had about slavery.  I would recommend this for teachers as a read-aloud before beginning a unit of study on slavery.


The End of Your Life Book ClubThe End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a very well written book that I could not put down all week.  My good friend Kathy Chapin recommended it and I am glad that she did.  The relationship between Will and Maryanne over her diagnosis of pancreatic cancer hit home with me.  I enjoyed reading about all the books they discussed and will certainly add some to my read list.  Reading this made me realize that I need to go back to the book "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving.  This has been on my list for awhile.  I just finished reading the ending and could not stop crying because of the realistic nature that Will Schwalbe uses to describe his last moments with his mother.  All I can say is WOW!   I recommend it to all the literacy ladies and can't wait to share it when we meet soon.

Other News:  I also wanted to direct my readers of this blog to a link for Young Author's Camps.  This summer I am going to be running a camp in Sanford.  This camp is designed for children, grades 4 to 6 who enjoy writing and want enrichment.  It is not a program for remediation.  Please check out the link and share it as you like.

 http://www.southernmainewritingproject.org/young-authors-camps1.html


I found this great group online for anyone interested in learning more about book blogs.  I have been on it a lot in the last couple weeks trying to get tips on how to improve my own blog.

Visit Book Blogs

I will be in touch soon and would love to hear from you in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment