Sunday, October 21, 2012

Book Thoughts for the week 10.21.12


Last week, I really wanted to read the chapter books of the Magic School Bus.  I could not get myself to sit and do it.  Instead I read some shorter stories.   I think this is an important lesson for parents/teachers to consider when talking about books with children.  If a child gives a book his/her best effort and still can not get into it, I believe it is the adult's responsibility to find appropriate reading material for children. It is important that the books that are put into children's hands to read are at their reading level.


Here are some of my favorite books from the week:


Beverly Billingsly Borrows a BookBeverly Billingsly Borrows a Book by Alexander Stadler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A read-aloud book that Xander brought home from school this week. To me the lesson is that children need to understand the importance of picking books and talking about them.  I also feel that children need to have exposure to being in the library.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

I am currently on page 275 in this book.  I studied women's history when I was an undergraduate at Plymouth State College (now University).  This story makes me think of that time in my life.  I would recommend for anyone who is interested in strong female characters.




















No comments:

Post a Comment