Friday, August 17, 2012

Teacher books I have read this summer 2012

Happy Friday to everyone:  In today's post I am going to list of the teacher books I have read this summer.  I would have to say that the Anne Lamont book, "Bird by Bird" by far was my favorite.  Many of these books were reading that I had to do for the Southern Maine Writing Project.


When Writing Workshop Isn't Working: Answers to Ten Tough Questions, Grades 2-5When Writing Workshop Isn't Working: Answers to Ten Tough Questions, Grades 2-5 by Mark Overmeyer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars










Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and LifeBird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book in one day!  Martha:  If you have not read this yet I highly recommend.  I loved the candor that Anne Lamont uses when she describes the writing process. It has made me think more about myself as a writer and how to think differently about the children I work with in regards to writing.  GREAT BOOK! 






Testing Is Not Teaching: What Should Count in EducationTesting Is Not Teaching: What Should Count in Education by Donald H. Graves
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wish I had the chance to meet Donald Graves when he was alive.  This text was a collection of short essays about topics in writing education.  The essay I found the most interesting was the child as an evaluator of their work.  In this text, Donald Graves references his other text the Energy to Teach published in 2001.  I know this is a text I will read soon.  Deep thinking text for my teacher friends but I would recommend to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment