Sunday, November 4, 2012

Books of the Week that I enjoyed 11.4.12

This week, I was busy reading some new texts so I could find books that engage the students I work with and my own two sons.  I am going to post some books that I would recommend for students in the elementary age range.  I also wanted to put a plug in for one of my colleagues blog with the following link www.ateacherswritinglife.wordpress.com.


MudsharkMudshark by Gary Paulsen


Guided Reading Level T

This is a great story about a middle school boy who makes a difference at his school. I am currently reading this with a group of my Title I Literacy students.





The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee  (Origami Yoda #3)The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this today with Xavier and Xander.  Xavier and I traded off reading this and it took us a couple of hours.  If you have a child that loves Star Wars as much as my son's do it is a must-read.  It also carries on where the last book left off.


For children to read independently it is marked as reading grade level of a 4.6 but at this time I could not find a guided reading level for it from Fountas and Pinnell.  I was thinking that because it is relatively new.



Dog in ChargeDog in Charge by K. L. Going
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A cute story about animals and how the dog takes the lead in protecting his family.  Great visual images in the story.  I would recommend this as a read-aloud only.






No comments:

Post a Comment