Sunday, August 18, 2013

School Year 2013

Wow!!  I can't believe that Summer is almost over and the new school year is about to begin.  It has been a fantastic Summer for me and my family on so many levels.  We got to go on many adventures around Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts and read many books together.  I tried to stick to the things that my boys were interested in learning more about.  Xander is enjoying learning about the military so many of my reads were in this area.  Xavier was busy reading the Guardians of the Guahole series and is currently on book 7.  It's hard for me to pick out my absolute favorite read from the Summer, I would probably have to narrow it to one adult book and one young adult and one children's book that I would highly recommend.

Favorite read Adult Book:
The Silver Linings PlaybookThe Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thank you for recommending this Lesley Brown.  I went to the library today and got it and read the entire book within a couple of hours.  Very well-done.  I was routing for Tiffany the entire time and was glad to see her get a happy ending.



Favorite read Young Adult Book:
The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story is told from the perspective of a 16 year old girl with cancer.  She meets a great love that gives her so much joy and a gets one last trip to Amsterdam to meet a favorite author.  The end of the story made me tear up.  I would recommend this story for middle school readers and up.  Wow!  This story is worth the read.


Favorite Children's Book:
The Bee TreeThe Bee Tree by Patricia Polacco
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I just got this book today at the Springvale Library book sale.  It is a great story about a girl and her grandpa.  Her grandpa motivates her to read and you'll have to see if she sticks with it or not.


I also post everything that I read on goodreads.com.  Please check it out.  If you would like to comment on a post at the end you will notice a pencil.  You can click right on it.  It is small to see at the bottom of the page because of the design of the blogger site where I keep the log.   I also wanted to share that if you are looking at the labels on the right hand side it will bring up particular posts where I mention a topic.  For example, Guided Reading Level L, this may have two or three different posts based on the books that I mention.  I hope this is a little clearer when trying to navigate the blog.

I hope everyone has a great back to school.  I start August 23rd with my orientation and then full boat on August 26th.  

Warm Regards,
Diana Pettis



No comments:

Post a Comment