Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Great Summer Day for Reading July 14, 2013!!!!

Today has been a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing day for me to sit and enjoy reading some good books.  It has also been important for me to be able to reflect on the message that each author has for those that are reading their books.  I feel that is a important to discuss with young readers.  For those of you that use the Daily 5 it made me think about what is the purpose for reading a specific text. This past week, I was co-teaching a Young Authors Camp in Kennebunk through the University of Southern Maine and got to meet a real published author.  Her name was Stephanie Kate Strohm and she is a YA Author.  She has published two books as part of the Pilgrim Series.  The titles of her books are Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink and Confederates Don't Wear Couture.  It was amazing for me to observe how the children responded to her and the aha moment that arose when they realized that if they wanted to they could become a published author.  Stephanie told the students that her books are a good for children older than twelve years old.   I have her books in my "To Read Pile".  Now, I wanted to share with all of you some of my favorites from the last couple of weeks.

Lifesaving Lessons: Notes from an Accidental MotherLifesaving Lessons: Notes from an Accidental Mother by Linda Greenlaw
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thank you Kathy B for giving me this book to read on Friday.  I started reading it yesterday and could not put it down.  Absolutely loved it!  I look forward to seeing you on the 27th.  I also can't wait to talk about it with you and the other Literary Ladies.  For me it was an interesting take on becoming a mother later in life.  This was a book I read for the Literary Ladies Book Club.


The Bee TreeThe Bee Tree by Patricia Polacco
My rating: 4 of 5 stars  (Guided Reading Level M, Grade Level Equivalent 4.6)

I just got this book at the Springvale Library book sale.  It is a great story about a girl and her grandpa.  Her grandpa motivates her to read and you'll have to see if she sticks with it or not.



Bad Kitty School DazeBad Kitty School Daze by Nick Bruel
My rating: 3 of 5 stars (Guided Reading Level T, DRA 50, Grade Level Equivalent 4)
Themes: Manners/Conduct, School, Cats, Dogs

I am a big fan of this series. This is the newest one and adds humor to Kitty and baby and little puppy.  Do you think they would enjoy going to school?  You will have to read to find out.



Extremely Loud and Incredibly CloseExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Interesting outlook on how a child deals with the loss of a parent due to the September 2001. Once I started reading it I could not stop until I got to the end.  I would encourage parents to read this book before recommending it to younger readers.




The Literacy Cookbook, Grades K-12: A Practical Guide to Effective Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening InstructionThe Literacy Cookbook, Grades K-12: A Practical Guide to Effective Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening Instruction by Sarah Tantillo

Great resource for my teacher friends. It has a little of everything when you are thinking about planning effective literacy instruction for students.   Sarah Tantillo also has a website that you can go on for further ideas.  I am really enjoying this text and want to stress that it is something that you can go back to over and over for lesson or unit ideas.


I hope everyone has a great reading and writing week.  It is supposed to be another hot week in Maine.

Sincerely,
Diana Pettis












No comments:

Post a Comment